Feldenkrais method and movement education
– An alternate therapy in musculoskeletal rehabilitation Leonard Joseph Henry a,b, Aatit Paungmali a,*, Vikram Mohan c, Ayiesah Ramli ba Department of Physical Therapy, Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
b Physiotherapy Programme, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
c Depatment of Physiotherapy, Faculty of Health Sciences, Universiti Teknologi MARA, Puncak Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
Introduction: Feldenkrais method (FM) is a movement education technique that emphasizes movement teaching based on sensory motor awareness and cognitive perception of the movement. Although this technique gained popularity in different parts of the world, it is still regarded as a non-conventional science.
Aim: Absence of in-depth review and high quality scientific studies in this technique neces-sitates the need for generation of knowledge and scientific review on this efficient method.
Discussion: This current review paper made an effort to provide conventional scientific explanation about this method that suits the medical paradigm. In this paper, a brief introduction followed by description of the technique is given with a clinical example toward its application. Furthermore, the neurophysiologic explanation and mechanical concepts are provided in the conventional scientific manner. Indications, contra indications and clinical implications were also discussed to accommodate the clinical practice in musculoskeletal rehabilitation.
Conclusions: Feldenkrais exercises can be used as an alternative therapy in musculoskeletal rehabilitation for movement education.
# 2015 Warmińsko-Mazurska Izba Lekarska w Olsztynie. Published by Elsevier Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
- Evidence for the Effectiveness of the Feldenkrais Method
- Mindful movement and skilled attention
- Effekten av träning hos friska kvinnor
- Feldenkrais method and movement education
- Äldres tilltro till den egna förmågan
- Feldenkrais and Stroke
- Does the Feldenkrais Method make a difference?
- Den levda smärtan
- Improving Sensory Motor Function after a Spinal Cord Injury